Bitter Gourd plant is vine in habit with green, hairy leaves. The stems have twining tendrils and are slender, green and hairy. The green fruits ripen to yellow and then orange with a tapering tip.
Botanical Name: Momordica Charantia
Common Name: Bitter Gourd, Karela, Balsampear, Balsam-apple, Bitter Cucumber, Carilla Gourd
Standardised For: Bitter Principles & 0.5% Charantin
Parts Used: Fruit
1) Helps lowering the blood sugar.
2) Bitter gourd has a good amount of beta carotene and helps curing eye problems.
3) For external use, helps soothing skin irritations, burns, chapped skin, relieves haemorrhoids, psoriasis etc.
1) Stimulates digestive function and improve appetite.
2) Bitter Gourd also has antioxidant, laxative, diuretic, anti-toxic and antihelmintic properties.