Tulsi or Ocimum sanctum is an annual plant which is generally found in the Indian sub-continent. Holy Basil (Ocimum Sanctum) Extract is regarded as one of the most sacred plants in India and is found in many Indian households. Almost all parts of Tulsi plant can be consumed which includes leaves, flowers, seeds and bark. While there are many therapeutic benefits attributed to Tulsi, some of the major benefits include those of a digestion aid and immune booster. Tulsi contains chemical compounds such as eugenol, ursolic acid, rosmarinic acid, chlorophyll, caryophyllene, oleanolic acid and linolenic acid. Nutritional compounds found in Tulsi include vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron and zinc.
1) Boosts the immune system with its antimicrobial properties and fights against fevers, cough and cold.
2) Possesses anti-diabetic properties. It also helps in arresting blood cholesterol levels.
3) Protects your eyes against ocular diseases such as cataract, macular degeneration, glaucoma and ophthalmia.
4) A very good home remedy for respiratory and lung diseases such as asthma and bronchitis.
5) Provides easy oral and dental care due to its antibacterial properties.
6) A good source of antioxidants which check the development of free radicals.
7) Very effective insect repellent with larvicidal properties against several insects.