Nardostachys jatamansi is a flowering plant of the Valerian family that grows in the Himalayas. It is a source of a type of intensely aromatic amber-colored essential oil, spikenard. The oil has, since ancient times, been used as a perfume, as a medicine and in religious contexts. It is also called spikenard, nard, nardin, or muskroot
Nardostachys Jatamansi has thin, ovate, leaves growing vertically directly from the woody rhizome, the stem yields small, white flowers that grow at the end f the stem, above the height of the leaves. The fruit is small and white, covered in thin white hairs. The root and rhizome are covered in thin, reddish-brown hairs.
1) Jatamansi protect skin health, used in skin care and as a deodorant and perfume, in the treatment of ACNE vulgaris.
2) It is extremely useful for smooth, silky and healthy hair.
3) It has soothing and action on the central nervous system, thus helps in epilepsy.
4) It is anticonvulsant, a memory booster and a brain tonic.
5) It has carminative, anti-spasmodic, diuretic and emmenagogue properties.
6) Itis useful for calming the chronic cough of bronchitis, helps relieving the phlegm in cough and asthma.
7) It increases appetite and improves digestion.
8) Jatamansi is cholagogue, hence useful in hepatitis and enlargement of the liver.