Methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil) is an organic ester naturally produced by many species of plants, particularly wintergreens. It is also synthetically produced, used as a fragrance, in foods and beverages, and in liniments. It is used as a flavoring agent in chewing gums and mints in small concentrations and added as antiseptic in mouthwash solutions.
- Product Name: Methyl Salicylate
- Chemical Names: Methyl salicylate; Methyl 2-hydroxybenzoate; 119-36-8; Wintergreen oil; Gaultheria oil; Betula oil; Wintergruenoel; Gaultheriaoel; Flucarmit; Exagien; Methyl o-hydroxybenzoate
- Molecular Formula: C8H8O3
- Molecular Weight: 152.149 g/mol
- IUPAC Name: methyl 2-hydroxybenzoate
- CAS Number: 119-36-8
- Physical Description: It is a colorless yellowish or reddish liquid with odor of wintergreen.
- Density: 1.174 g/cm3
- Boiling Point: 222°C
- Melting Point: -8.6°C
- Solubility: Slightly soluble in water
- Storage Conditions: STORED AND DISPENSED IN TIGHT CONTAINERS.
As a topical antipyretic, analgesic and anti-inflammatory, methyl salicylate can be purchased over-the-counter. It is rapidly hydrolyzed into salicylic acid. In topical applications, methyl salicylate is used as an anti-irritant. The esterification of salicylic acid with methanol results in methyl salicylate.
- Synthetically produced Methyl Salicylate contains minimum 98.0% and maximum 100.5% C8H8O3, Angular rotation(781): Both synthetic methyl salicylate and that from betula are not optically active.
- Refractive index (831): Between 1.535 and 1.538 at 20℃
How does it work:
The drug blocks nerve signals in the body. It is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) in a class of drugs known as salicylates. Pain and inflammation in the body are reduced by this medication.
Applications Or where it is used:
The product is used for treating minor aches and pains, such as arthritis, backache, and sprains. Menthol and methyl salicylate cause the skin to feel cool, then warm.
How to use:
Methyl Salicylate 10 %-Menthol 3 % Topical Patch. This medication should only be applied to the skin. Make sure the affected area is clean and dry before applying it. Take off the backing from the patch and place it on the affected area.
- It is possible for the application site to feel mild cold or burning. Seek medical attention if these effects persist.
- Warnings and precautions while using this product
Do not use if:
- You have an open wound or damaged skin.
- If your child has arthritis-like symptoms, do not use an OTC topical pain reliever containing methyl salicylate